WBL Connectors Internship Checklist
Quick tips for Work-Based Learning Connectors to ensure a successful internship.
Before The Internship:
- Review the Fact Sheet and any required forms.
- Meet with teachers/faculty and discuss how they can help with learner selection, internship design, reflection activities and support the classroom connection. Share the Teacher/Faculty Tip Sheet.
- Maintain regular communications with teachers/faculty.
- Design and develop the internship with the employer.
- Arrange for learner interviews.
- Debrief following the interviews.
- Have the employer sign the worksite agreement.
- Identify interested learners and review resumes.
- Select and refer qualified learners matched to employer specifications.
- Confirm placement details by providing both the employer and learner an offer letter.
- Conduct a site visit to address key legal or safety issues.
- Prepare hosts by providing an orientation and determining the preferred frequency and method of contact.
- Prepare interns by sharing the learner checklist.
- Develop specific learning objectives for their WBL plan.
During The Internship:
- If possible, meet with the intern and worksite supervisor at the workplace and observe workplace activities. Finalize training plan and make appointments for any future visits.
- Assist the worksite supervisor in completing the Employer Evaluation of learner performance at the mid-point and completion of the internship.
- Facilitate learning by coordinating opportunities for interns to reflect on their internships in the classroom and regularly assess progress using evaluations.
- If applicable, monitor intern timesheets and payroll. Resolve any issues that may arise.
After The Internship:
- Conduct follow-up activities by reviewing the completed evaluations with the intern.
- Help interns update their career plan and think about any next steps they would like to take to further their career goals.
- Provide avenues for feedback on the effectiveness of the internship and make recommendations for adjustments in the future.
- Coordinate opportunities for learner reflection with teachers/faculty to help make the connection between this internship, classroom learning and next steps.
- Document the experience in ELENA and provide reports ti all parties.
This includes Earn & Learn work-based learning connectors and others who facilitate, arrange and support work-based learning activities for learners.
- Five Months In Advance:
- Develop and design the internship.
- Confirm learner availability and schedule with appropriate stakeholders.
- Get signed worksite agreement.
- Three months in advance:
- Review resumes.
- Schedule interviews.
- Process results.
- Confirm placement details.
- Conduct a site visit.
- Two months in advance:
- Prepare internship hosts.
- Prepare interns.
- Prepare teachers.
- Two weeks in advance:
- Confirm details with all parties.
- On the start date:
- Check in with the intern and employer.
Tips For Success
- Conduct Effective Planning
- Prepare for Success
- Identify Learning Objectives
- Create Authentic and Engaging Experiences
- Connect to Careers
- Support Learner Growth
- Ensure Activities are Safe and Legal
- Provide Ongoing Support
- Provide for Reflection, Presentation and Feedback
- Connect to the Learner Next Step
- Assess and Document the Experience